Mold Toxicity_Meeting Point Health

Mold Toxicity

Mold toxicity is a condition caused by toxic compounds called mycotoxins that are given off by certain types of mold. Molds are all around us, and the vast majority of them are not dangerous to us, but occasionally we come into contact with harmful molds that release mycotoxins, and in the perfect storm, our bodies are unable to detox or process out the mycotoxins. This allows them to build up in the body and take a serious toll on our health.

Complications include:

  • Having a mold allergy
  • Biotoxin Overload – often due to having a genetic variation that does not allow you to detox from mycotoxins properly
  • Concurrent overgrowth of other fungal strains such as Candida
  • Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) – a biological response in which cytokines and other inflammatory mediators overwhelm the body
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

What are some of the symptoms of mold toxicity?

  • Anxiety
  • Chest tightness
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Asthma
  • Eczema
  • Migraine
  • Eye sensitivity
  • Frequent nighttime urination
  • Hormonal changes in your thyroid, adrenals, a d menstrual cycle
  • If chronic, neurological sensations such as zipping, muscle twitching, and tingling

The symptomatology of mold illness can vary wildly and that is due to its chemical structure. Mold is both hydrophobic and hydrophilic able to get into both fat-loving tissue likes nerves and water-loving tissue like blood. This leads to a wide array of symptoms. No two presentations are ever alike.

So how do we test for mycotoxins?

Most of the time, a general diagnosis of mycotoxin toxicity can be made based on symptoms and history living in a humid or water-damaged environment, but we also encourage the following tests:

  • Urine mycotoxins to find out which specific toxin is affecting you. With this information, we can work on binding the specific toxin.
  • Home/Work Mold Inspection
  • CIRS (chronic inflammatory response syndrome) blood panel – this is a non-strain specific panel of certain inflammatory blood markers that are common with biotoxin illness.

How is it treated?

The most important thing for us to do when we are working with mycotoxins is to optimize your body’s detoxification processes to do what it does best and to process out the toxins (even if you have a genetic variation in how well you do so!) We do this in a few different ways including:

  • Eliminate exposure! We will encourage remediation or removal from your environment if warranted
  • IV Therapy – Ozone, UBI, Glutathione, phosphatydilcholine, ALA, Peptides
  • Prescription and/or herbal binders and antifungals
  • Nebulized treatments – argentyn 23, compounded glutathione
  • An anti-inflammatory low mold nutritional program.

Often times, mold illness is concurrent with Lyme and other tickborne illnesses and can lead to treatment resistance if the mold has not been treated first.

Treatment will always depend on you, your symptoms, and what feels manageable to you. If you have struggled with mold illness or have been suspicious of it, do not be discouraged. We have lots of tools in our medicine bag and we will stay the course with you.

Call or request an appointment to speak with one of our Functional Medicine providers and we will get the ball rolling towards renewing your health.

Author picture

Medically reviewed by Dr. Stephen Matta, DO, MBA CAQSM and Mary Anne Matta, MS, MA, LAC

Send a Message to Meeting Point